Hydraulics and Hydrology is a technical section in Geotechnical Engineering Support Branch, Engineering Division that designs and prepares the plans and specifications for navigation, flood control and erosion control projects. The section provides expertise in hydraulic and coastal engineering, hydrology, flood plain management and structural marine engineering. The section:
- Prepares hydraulic engineering analyses in support of the Alaska District’s Civil Works program.
- Prepares dam and levee operation and maintenance manuals.
- Inspects dams and levees as part of the dam and levee safety program.
- Designs and coordinates modeling studies and other technical studies with Engineering Research and Development Center’s Waterways Experiment Station.
- Supports Denali Commission, Military and Planning Assistance to States programs.
The section also maintains the Floodplain Management Services Flood Hazard Community Data database, and monitors the flow of the Chena River in Fairbanks and determines gate openings at Moose Creek Dam at the Chena River Lakes Flood Control Project.