Children at the Valley Christian Home play with ducks.
Operated by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Richardson until 1956, the Valley Christian Home in the Matunuska-Susitna Valley housed orphans who were parentless due to the death or incompetence of their legal guardian(s). The home was funded through a limited stipend by the Territory of Alaska and generous donations by local organizations, including the Army Corps of Engineers. The District Engineers Association visited the farm several times with gifts on major holidays and took photos during these visits, as well as recording daily-life photos.
Col. Carl Y. Farrel buys a "glacier bug" pin for $1 to add to his ribbons in 1955.
(Photo to left) Modeling glacier bug earrings, these ladies announce the yearly Christmas fund drive among employees of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Alaska District at Anchorage. From left to right they are Doris McCready, Pat Repnak, Darlene Petrilli, Hellen London, Sandy Kline and Grace Wilcox. The B Day drive features the glacier bug as a token for contributors with all funds going for the Christmas of children of the Valley Christian Home. The drive was held Dec. 16,1956.
(Photo to right) To prove that there are no limits to the earring fad, these ladies announce the coming of B Day, a day set aside each year by the employees of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Alaska District for a special Christmas fundraising drive for the children of the Valley Christian Home. The glacier bug is a token for contributors to the drive. From left to right: (front row) Doris McCready, Grace Wilcox, and Sandy Kline; (back row) Pat Repnak, Darlene Petrilli and Helen London.
Orphan Scrapbook: A scrapbook compiled by the District Engineer Orphan Fund Committee, with photos taken by Conrad Puhr in the summer of 1953.
Memo to employees summarizing the charitable efforts to date.
Report on Committee activities, including significant donation list.
Informational letter, contains details on where the orphanage administrators came from and length of operation.
Col. Carl Y. Farrell, district commander, shows some of the children how to operate the train during an Easter visit in 1956.