How to Request a FOIA

If you want to obtain copies of, or access to, government records (those held in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District) that are not currently available online or through other public access venues, this is where you start.

The government requires you to submit a request for those records through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (5 U.S.C. § 552 (b) and 32 CFR 518). While there is a process, we do take our responsibilities under the FOIA seriously. With your cooperation, we will address your request in a timely manner.


  1. Your Name (First and Last)
  2. Company Name (if applicable)
  3. A valid mailing address (where you receive mail / street, city and ZIP code)
  4. A telephone number
  5. A detailed description of the records you are seeking (See SAMPLE FOIA REQUEST link)
    1. Agreement to pay fees associated with processing or
    2. A request for a fee waiver (See FEES & FEE WAIVERS link)
  6. An email address is appreciated but not required. We do not share e-mail addresses. We use them only to aid in effective, expedient communication with you regarding your request.

Alaska District is now scanning all documents in .PDF format. If you would like a paper copy, you will need to state that in your request.

Once your request is submitted, and includes all the necessary information, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter informing you that your request has been received and is being processed. Whenever possible, an initial determination to release or deny a request is made within 20 working days after receipt of the request. If unusual circumstances exist that preclude a timely response, you will be given an estimated completion date and reason(s) for the delay. A couple examples of unusual circumstances are:

  • The need to search for and collect the requested records from other facilities, i.e., field offices.
  • The need to search for, collect and examine a voluminous amount of documents from different elements of the Alaska District.

Please note that requests will not be accepted verbally.

To request a status update on your FOIA request, please call the Office of Counsel (907) 753-2532.